Movie Music and More #16: "Pride and Prejudice" (2005)


Whatever you may think of this movie version, I think we can agree that it has some beautiful music.  Dario Marianelli's score feels like a musical love letter, the way it tenderly accompanies Jane Austen's classic story of intelligent people learning to see themselves and each other more clearly.

This first selection is pretty indicative of what much of the music is like.  Sort of soft and trickly, happy and yet just a little pensive.


This piece is more stately and elegant -- it's from when Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy are dancing together for the first time, and glowering at each other.  Please note that the title is supposed to be "A Postcard to Henry Purcell" -- the person who posted it to YouTube made a typo.  (Henry Purcell was an English composer in the 1600s, just so you know.)


Now, I have listened to this soundtrack many, many times.  I find it very soothing, perfect for a long afternoon when I want some background music to accompany doing jigsaw puzzles with my kids or whatever.  So I got the sheet music a few months ago, because I love playing music from movies that I like.  And, weirdly enough, I hated it.  For some reason, this trickly, gentle music is fun for me to listen to, but utterly boring to play myself.  Weird, huh?

No comments

Not a single link is allowed to submit in comment :o